How to season your Arteflame Grill Insert
Why Season the cooktop? When the cooktop is seasoned, it has a layer of hardened (polymerized) fat or oil baked on to the surface of your cooktop. This layer makes it appear dark black and feel almost like it has a teflon coating. When the cooktop is seasoned it is protected against rust and will be non-stick. The beauty of seasoning is that it is completely natural and safe! Seasoning will accumulate over time and will only improve. Some acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus (even wine) can penetrate the seasoning so it might have to be reapplied after cooking with these acidic foods. If this happens, just renew your seasoning with some cooking oil. For best results, we use Crisbee seasoning, flaxseed or grapeseed oil but Canola Oil (Rapeseed Oil), Coconut Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Olive Oil, Vegetable Shortening (Crisco) or Vegetable Oil can be used.
5 Steps to Seasoning Your Arteflame Cooktop
The cooktop behaves the same as a cast iron skillet. It should be seasoned in the same way to avoid corrosion from forming. Without any seasoning or a film of oil, it will corrode. The good news is, the Arteflame cooktops are solid steel and designed to last a lifetime.
Many people just start using their Arteflame and season the cooktop as they use it. This certainly can be done and will yield good results. If you’re looking for perfect results, follow these steps;
1. Heat up the cooktop to get it ready. Coat the entire cooktop using the Arteflame seasoning puck or pour some oil onto the cooktop and spread it around so the entire surface is covered with a light film. All it takes is an extremely thin layer, the less the better!!!
2. Continue heating up the cooktop until the oil starts to smoke and continue until the smoking stops. During this process the cooktop will darken. This indicates that the seasoning is starting to take hold.
3. When the oil stops smoking (this should take approximately 25-30 minutes), let the cooktop cool off.
4. Repeat these steps until you have a nice dark cooktop.
5. After you have completed your initial seasoning, wipe down your cooktop with the Arteflame seasoning puck or a cooking oil for storing. For best results, we use Crisbee seasoning, flaxseed or grapeseed oil but Canola Oil (Rapeseed Oil), Coconut Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Olive Oil, Vegetable Shortening (Crisco) or Vegetable Oil can be used.