Hasselback Butternut Squash with Bay Leaves on the Grill
Hasselback Butternut Squash with Bay Leaves and Chile Glaze Recipe
Transform your holiday meals with this Hasselback Butternut Squash recipe, featuring aromatic bay leaves and a spicy chile glaze, all brought together on the Arteflame Grill for a perfect blend of flavors.
Cooked on the Arteflame Grill
- 1 large butternut squash or 2–3 small honeynut squash (about 3 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 Fresno chile, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6–8 dried bay leaves
Prep the Squash:
- Halve the squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Remove the skin and white flesh to reach the deep orange flesh.
- Rub the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Microwave the squash halves until they start to soften, about 6-10 minutes.
Make the Chile Glaze:
- On the Arteflame grill, bring the sliced Fresno chile, maple syrup, butter, and vinegar to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the chile slices once the desired heat level is reached and set aside.
- Continue simmering until the glaze thickens enough to coat a spoon, about 6–8 minutes. Keep the glaze warm on the cooler edge of the grill.
Grill the Squash:
- Transfer the partially cooked squash to the grill.
- Score the rounded sides of the squash halves crosswise, taking care not to cut all the way through.
- Tuck bay leaves between some of the slices and season again with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash on the grill, scored sides up. Cover with a stainless pan or bowl to create an oven effect.
- Baste with the chile glaze every 10 minutes, using a pastry brush to lift off any glaze browning too much, until tender and the glaze forms a rich brown coating, about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve the Hasselback squash topped with the reserved chile slices.
- Squash can be roasted 4 hours ahead, cooled to just warm, covered, and stored at room temperature. Reheat before serving.
Enjoy this unique Hasselback Butternut Squash with Bay Leaves and a delectable Chile Glaze, a perfect holiday-worthy dish to prepare on your Arteflame grill.
These are some of the products we use in this recipe: