by Brad Prose
We're taking breakfast outside with Sausage Stuffed French Toast, grilled on a griddle. This meal is a guilty pleasure, both sausage and cheese stuffed in French toast, topped with a maple dijon sauce. Hope you have fun!
(servings for 2 sandwiches)
Challah bread, 2 slices about 2"-3" thick
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp bourbon (or vanilla extract)
16oz breakfast sausage
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
2 tsp Spiceology Rosemary Dijon
2 tbsp Dijon or stoneground mustard
2 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat up the griddle or cast iron for searing.
- Whip up the custard for the French toast. Combine the eggs, milk, and bourbon and whisk to combine.
- Slice the bread into a 2-3″ thick slice, and then cut a slit lengthways down the center, not all the way through. This is the pocket to stuff the sausage inside. Dip the toast into the custard and flip, coating the entire bread. Repeat for the second slice.
- Sear the sausage patties. Create 3oz oval-shaped patties of sausage, season, and sear on the flat top. Flip when crispy, and add a sprinkle of cheese (use your judgement).
- Go ahead and sear the bottom of the French toast for each slice while the cheese is melting. When the sausages are fully cooked, stack 2, stuff inside one of the toasts. Flip the toast as needed for a few minutes until both sides are crispy.
- (Optional & recommended) Use remaining cheese and sprinkle on the flat top. Place a stuffed toast on top of the cheese, bonding it to the bottom. Cook until the cheese is crispy.
- Mix up the Dijon and maple syrup. Pour and serve.